The Week of December 25 – 31, 2006

Synopsis of Week’s Training:
This week will be chalked up as a sick week. I woke up on Christmas morning knowing that I was sick. What a bummer. What’s worse, it linger through the week and possibly beyond. Despite not feeling well, I completed my Christmas tradition, but with a new twist this year. For the past 15 years (may have missed a year), every Christmas day I run down to the annual Washington crossing the Delaware reenactment (think back of the New Jersey quarter), which is about about a mile from my parents’ house, and then continue up Continental Lane, the route that Washington and his army took en route to attack the Hessians in Trenton on a Christmas day so long ago. This year I had a special guest for this tradition – my sister! I don’t think she enjoyed the much, but I think she had a good time. On the way back to the house, I left here with my mom and her husband, who were watching the crossing. Not 100 meters later, I see a man trying to find a cop. He sees me running and let’s me know that he’s looking for a cop because an elderly person had “gone down” up the road and asked if I could go get a cop that he’d seen in the other direction. So I took of sprinting and let the cop know. He immediately called for an ambulance, which, fortunately, was on standby down at the crossing. I never figured out if this incident was a heart attack or merely a fall.

I took off Tuesday due to feeling bad. Wednesday through Friday were easy days. Saturday I got my ass kicked by the Boyer’s Furnace fatass. Not long into the run I realized that I *hate* the Massanutten Mountain Trail. *ALOT* Too many rocks, not enough running for my liking. Thankfully, I had great company and it was a beautiful day. I caught up with some long time acquaintances/now current friends and got to know some folks I’d never really talked to. Somewhere near 30 miles, I had a bit of unneeded drama that I didn’t need – I sprained my ankle pretty badly twice in a row. Normally this would suck bad enough, but I still had to traverse Short Mountain on seven miles of the nastiest, rockiest trail a person could imagine. Earlier in the day I had expressed my dislike for the trail, by this point I was cursing up a storm. Pretty much every couple steps I would reaggrevate the ankle. Yuck. At the tail end of daylight, Keith Knipling and I made it back to the start a bit less than 10 hours after we started. On Sunday I was supposed to conclude 2006 with a run up Signal Knob with some VHTRC folks and Elaine, a friend who drove out with me. Unfortunately, my friends all decided that some drizzle was enough to keep them inside, so we didn’t go.

By The Numbers:
Monday – 5. Easy.
Tuesday – Off. Sick.
Wednesday – 5.5. Social track.
Thursday – 5. Easy.
Friday – 5. Easy.
Saturday – 43. Boyer’s Furnace Fatass.
Sunday – Off. Midnight run canceled.

Weekly Mileage: 63.5
Year-to-Date Mileage: 2743
Three Week Moving Average: 58.0
Year-to-Date Weekly Average: 52.8

Upcoming Training Goals:
Too late for posting goals.

Ps. Sorry for (ano)the(r) delayed summary. I’ll chalk it up to being sick, then apathetic, and then busy.