We thought you’d like to know a bit about those folks who contribute to making iRunFar your source for mud, mountains, miles, and more. If you’re interested in contributing any of your various talents to iRunFar, please take a look below.
Bryon Powell – Editor-in-Chief
Bryon Powell’s been trail running since 1992, ultrarunning since 2002, and publishing iRunFar since 2006. While Bryon has written or edited thousands of articles on the site, these days he heads iRunFar’s operations along with his writing and race-coverage duties. He’s also written the books Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running Ultramarathons and, with Meghan Hicks (see below), Where the Road Ends: A Guide to Trail Running along with numerous magazine articles. You can read more about Bryon Powell.
Meghan Hicks – Managing Editor
Meghan plays the role of wrangling iRunFar’s written word, managing the editorial process with our columnists and contributors for the website’s five-days-a-week (and sometimes more) publishing schedule. Additionally, she frequently writes her own articles, provides onsite race coverage, and more. In 2016, she wrote Where the Road Ends: A Guide to Trail Running with Bryon Powell. You can read more about Meghan Hicks.
iRunFar’s Columnists and Key Contributors
Andy Jones-Wilkins – Columnist
AJW’s Taproom is proof that some of the world’s best ideas are formed over a pint (or three) of beer. Long-time ultrarunner Andy Jones-Wilkins has been providing iRunFar with weekly editorial perspective since 2011. AJW brings all of us together with his analytical and reflective pieces that spark discussion on a wide variety of topics.
Tom Caughlan – Gear Reviewer
Tom Caughlan is one of iRunFar’s core gear reviewers. Tom’s passion for trail running and specialty-running retail experience shine through in all of his highly technical reviews. He’s been reviewing on iRunFar since 2010.
Travis Liles – Gear Video Reviewer
With Trail Trials, Travis Liles provides video-based trail running gear reviews, an area that he pioneered. He publishes his own writing at The Liles Trials. Travis has also been reviewing for iRunFar since 2010.
Kristin Zosel – Gear Reviewer and Race Coverage Team
Kristin Zosel originally joined the iRunFar team as a transcriptionist nearly a decade ago. Her role has evolved to gear reviews and race coverage these days.
Joe Uhan – Columnist
Since 2012, Joe Uhan has shared his insights into sports physiology and medicine with his monthly Stay the Course column.
Justin Mock – Columnist
With incredible weekly dedication since 2015, Justin Mock writes iRunFar’s weekly racing update, This Week in Running. During the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 and 2021 where racing was minimal, Justin kept us all connected via his Catching Up With athlete interviews.
Liza Howard – Columnist
Liza Howard has been a voice on iRunFar since 2015, and she currently writes the Age-Old Runners series. Before that and in 2018 and 2019, Liza Howard and Brendan Leonard together created the First Aid on the Run column. Previous to that, Liza was a part of the Trail Sisters column.
Zach Miller – Columnist
In Finding Words, Zach Miller shares his experiences, often as lessons from which we can all learn. He’s been finding his words on iRunFar since 2016.
Corrine Malcolm – Columnist
Corrine Malcolm helped found the Running on Science column in 2017 with the goal of making complex science topics that are important to distance running accessible to iRunFar’s readers. She remains at the column’s helm today.
Casey Szesze – Gear Reviewer and Race Coverage Team
Casey Szesze joined our race-coverage team in 2017, and she also became part of iRunFar’s gear-review team in 2020.
Mallory Richard – Transcriptionist
Mallory Richard joined us in 2018 as a transcriptionist.
Sabrina Little – Columnist
As a philosopher and runner, Sabrina Little blends the two in her approachable thinker’s column. Sabrina joined the iRunFar family in 2018.
Morgan Tilton – Columnist
In 2018, Morgan Tilton took over the WeRunFar column, which has been a part of iRunFar’s published materials since its earliest days, and which seeks to tell important stories of the trail running and ultrarunning community.
Jessica Johnson – Transcriptionist
Jessica Johnson joined iRunFar as a transcriptionist in 2019.
Mark Giddens – Transcriptionist
Mark Giddens joined iRunFar as a transcriptionist in 2019.
Alex Nichols – Columnist
Runner and coach Alex Nichols started his Always Improving trail running and ultrarunning training column in 2019.
Hannah Green – Columnist
Artist, writer, and multi-sport athlete Hannah Green joined the iRunFar family in 2020, and her Notes from the Trail column helps us to connect deeply with the natural places through which we run.
Annie Behrend – Gear Reviewer
Annie Behrend joined iRunFar as a gear reviewer in 2020.
Craig Randall – Gear Reviewer
Craig Randall joined the iRunFar gear-review team in 2020.
Race Coverage Team
- Kim Wrinkle is a frequent field correspondent at races in the U.S.
- Marissa Harris and Mauri Pagliacci frequently help with our race coverage around the world.
- Ellie Greenwood has historically authored iRunFar articles, but these days she’s a frequent assistant with our race coverage around the world.
- Ian Campbell (U.K.), Tim Peeters (Belgium), Miguelito (Spain-Canary Islands), and the Koalas (Spain-Catalunya) are frequent field correspondents at European races.
- Kirsten Kortebein is iRunFar’s intrepid and globetrotting photojournalist.
- Koichi Iwasa (Japan), Rachel Jacqueline (Hong Kong), Paul Charteris (New Zealand), and Kerry Suter (New Zealand) are occasional field correspondents at races in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia.
- Doug Mayer pens the occasional humor piece for iRunFar when he’s not working on Car Talk or RunTheAlps.com.
- Paper Moustache’s Ale and Sara created iRunFar’s new logo and redesigned our website!
- Sandy Stott writes creatively a couple times of year for iRunFar’s readers.
- Andrew Titus occasionally drops an exquisitely written piece on iRunFar’s audience.
Previous Contributors and Saviors
The following individuals have made key contributions, whether long-term or in the moment, that greatly assisted in making iRunFar what it is today. Many thanks to you all!
- Elyse Braner became iRunFar’s first female columnist when she started writing Elyse’s Closet back in late 2008. It should also be noted that she was an inspirational example for Bryon Powell‘s move to make trail running his profession.
- Jessica Campbell penned our WeRunFar column for 4.5 years, from 2014 to 2018, sharing almost 50 stories of our sport’s community.
- Joe Grant created his monthly column From My Doorstep from 2013 through 2019.
- Mitchell Goodman provided iRunFar with the most excitement it saw in 2009 by being the brains that made the Western States 100 prediction contest possible. He repeated the effort every year through 2015, and the contest still continues today
- Tracy Hoeg was co-founder of our Running on Science column with Corrine Malcolm in 2017. While Running on Science continues on iRunFar, Tracy retired from it in 2020.
- Dakota Jones regularly contributed his insights to iRunFar from 2011 through 2018.
- Brad Koenig and John McAlister were great technical advisors as iRunFar moved from its Blogger roots to WordPress in the winter of 2009 and 2010.
- David Laney helped us to complete our Trail Running 101 series in 2018 and 2019, to help newer trail runners.
- Aliza Lapierre wrote a thoughtful and often introspective column for several years.
- Robbie Lawless shared his Run Tramp Interviews with iRunFar and the world for three years.
- Brendan Leonard together with Liza Howard authored our the First Aid on the Run series in 2018 and 2019, with Liza authoring the words and Brendan creating the images.
- Abby Levene was the creative behind iRunFar’s digital coloring book Happy Trails which was previously available in the iRunFar Store in 2020.
- Eric LiPuma designed our Happy Trails logo, which we used on merchandise previously available in the iRunFar Store in 2020.
- EJ Murphy provided iRunFar’s only comic to date, Happy Trails.
- Allison Pattillo wrote our Non-Gear Girl column.
- Paul Petch has provided iRunFar with graphic designs ranging from column logos to ads.
- Tony Portera was the original voice behind This Week in Running or TWIR.
- Ian Torrence shared his experience in his Your Ultra-Training Bag of Tricks coaching column between 2012 and 2019.
- The Trail Sisters, Gina Lucrezi, Pam Smith, and Liza Howard shared their perspectives about our sport in the Trail Sisters column. Ashley Arnold also previously contributed to the column.
- Geoff Roes penned a column on his evolving relationship with running for four years.
- Eric Senseman was an occasional contributor before hosting the column Sensing Greatness, interviews with top runners, for about two years.
- Travis Trampe helped us cover races around the U.S. for many years.
- Brendan Trimboli created iRF’s Non-Gear Girl, This Week In Running, and Elyse’s Closet logos.
- Rhielle Widders previously guided newer trail runners in the series Trail Running 101.
Become a Contributor
If you have skills that you’d like to contribute to iRunFar, please get in touch with us! We’re always looking for good writers for guest posts (opportunities are limited), photographers looking to share their work, graphic artists to help with small projects, web designers and traditional publishers for their feedback and consultation, and anyone else with technical or artistic skills who is willing to help make iRunFar even better. Even if we don’t have an immediate need for your skill, we’re building an iRunFar volunteer list just in case we need help in the future. Let us know if you want to be included!
Last updated: February 21, 2021