In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we launched Operation Inspiration to help our global community stay connected, inspire one another, and find routine in our new circumstances. On this page, you'll find information on the various aspects of Operation Inspiration, how to take part in them and do so responsibly, and how to support both the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund and iRunFar.
Operation Inspiration's Schedule of EventsHere's what we have planned so far as part of Operation Inspiration:
- Through April 12 – Operation Inspiration's COVID-19 Fundraiser– Join us to donate to the World Health Organization's COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.
- March 23 through 29 – Operation Inspiration's Solo Seven Challenge – A seven-day solo workout challenge based in iRunFar’s Strava club. Details below.
- April 2 – Operation Inspiration's Airdrop #1 – This iRunFar article will share photos, videos, and stories of how iRunFar community members are finding inspiration as they run and work out through this crisis. More on how to share your inspiration below.
- April 4 – Operation Inspiration Virtual Race – Join the iRunFar global community in an hour-long workout (or longer), raise money for the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, and be eligible for a random prize giveaway. Entry details below.
- April 8 – Operation Inspiration's Airdrop #2 – Another delivery of inspiration on iRunFar.
- April 12 – Operation Inspiration Virtual Race Prizes Announcement – We'll announce the winners of the random prize drawing among all Virtual Race entrants
- Ask you to follow all your local government requirements and guidelines;
- Ask you to follow the social distancing and health suggestions in our article, COVID-19: A Trail Running and Ultrarunning Community Guide;
- Discourage you from running with anyone outside your household;
- Discourage you from traveling more than a very short distance to go for a run;
- Discourage you from remote or risky runs that might divert healthcare professionals to your search or care; and
- Encourage you to be creative in finding inspiring runs that have been hiding in plain sight or finding ways to make your indoor workouts more enjoyable.
- Create a Strava account, if you don’t have one, and join iRunFar’s Strava club, if you're not a member already.
- Log one solo workout of any length every day, from Monday, March 23 through Sunday, March 29. Depending on your local government’s regulations on outdoor activity, this might mean yoga in your living room, weights in the kitchen, or a jog on a bike path while maintaining six feet of social distance.
- We encourage you to take time to browse other challengers’ workouts in the iRunFar Strava club to give them kudos and comments, as well as to join in discussion in the posts we'll make within the club over the coming week.
- This is an honors-system challenge. If you don’t use a device to track your workout, manual entries are permitted.
How to Participate in the Operation Inspiration Virtual RaceJoin us on Saturday, April 4, for the Operation Inspiration Virtual Race, a one-hour (or more) workout challenge. In a time when our community has seen the rightful cancellation and postponement of almost all races in the near term with little idea of when that reality will change, the Virtual Race gives us a way to get our competitive juices flowing and to gather around a communal physical effort. Via the Virtual Race, we’re fundraising for the World Health Organization’s (WHO) COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund. This fund supplies the financial resources WHO needs to help countries prevent, detect, and manage COVID-19. Here's how to take part:
- Sign up for the race in the iRunFar Store. We are offering multiple entry fees, and we ask you to choose the one that’s financially feasible for you. 100% of your entry fee goes to WHO's COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.
- Do your workout anytime on Saturday, April 4. Depending on local regulations, this might mean an outdoor run or an in-your-home workout. Whatever you can do for 60 minutes works.
- This is an honors-system challenge! Once you’re signed up, you’re in. By signing up for the race in the iRunFar Store, you’re automatically eligible for a random prize giveaway. We’ll announce the winners by Sunday, April 12.
- Feel welcome to join us in iRunFar’s Strava club to share your workout, see what others are doing, and chat with fellow racers.
How to Submit to Operation Inspiration's AirdropsOperation Inspiration’s Airdrops will be two articles made up of the inspiring workout stories of the global running community. We seek your story to share with the world!
- From now through April 5, submit photos, videos, and stories from your inspiring runs or other workouts to operationinspiration at irunfar dot com. We’ll choose from among the submissions in our Airdrop articles.
- Please limit submissions to 2 paragraphs of text, 3 photos (horizontal layout preferred), and/or 1 video up to 30 seconds in length (again, horizontal layout, please).
- If your submissions are too large for email attachments, upload them to your public cloud of choice and send a cloud link as part of your email message to operationinspiration at irunfar dot com.
- Include your name and where you live, and limit submissions to 1 per person.