2016 Western States 100 Lottery Results
The lottery for the 2016 Western States 100 took place yesterday, confirming the vast majority of next year’s field, including a few top runners. However, most top runners either secured entry prior to the lottery or will do so in the coming months.
The WS100 website has an up-to-date list of the 2016 Western States 100 entrants.
Let’s take a look at the top runners who have made it into WS100 so far.
Women’s Top-10 Returnees
The women’s top 10 from this year are invited to return in 2016. Everyone except Emma Roca and Nikki Kimball–who finished her 10th WS100 this year–are returning.
- Magdalena Boulet (Hoka One One) — 19:05:21 (pre-race, finish-line, and post-race interviews)
- Kaci Lickteig (Nike) — 19:20:31 (post-race interview)
- Stephanie Howe (The North Face) — 19:32:58 (pre-race and post-race interviews)
- Aliza Lapierre (Salomon) — 19:43:22 (pre-race interview)
Emma Roca (Hoka One One) — 20:12:00 (pre-race interview)
- Nicole Studer (Altra) — 20:19:56
- Sally McRae (Nike) — 20:27:33
- Caroline Boller (Nike) — 21:44:11
- Erika Lindland — 21:47:25 (post-race interview)
Nikki Kimball (Hoka One One) — 22:01:55
Men’s Top-10 Returnees
The men’s top 10 from 2015 are also invited to return. We will see just six of the top 10 from this year back for 2016, with two-time champ Rob Krar, Jared Hazen, and Gediminas Grinius, and Julien Chorier opting out.
Rob Krar (The North Face) — 14:48:59 (pre-race, finish-line, and post-race interviews)
- Seth Swanson (The North Face) — 15:17:28 (pre-race and post-race interviews)
Jared Hazen (Drymax) — 15:37:55 (post-race interview) Gediminas Grinius (Inov-8) — 15:40:55
- Thomas Lorblanchet (Altra) — 15:56:32
Julien Chorier (Hoka One One) — 16:34:43
- Ian Sharman (Altra) — 16:44:27
- David Laney (Nike) — 17:01:37
- Andrew Tuckey (The North Face) — 17:19:17
- Paul Terranova (Hoka One One) — 17:43:17 (post-race interview)
Other Fast Runners Who Achieved Entry Pre-Lottery
These are some speedy men and women who achieved entry to next year’s race via one of the other pre-lottery methods.
- Meghan Arbogast — Seeking 10th finish
- Jeff Browning — Sponsor
- Lon Freeman — Raffle
- Gina Lucrezi — Sponsor
- Brian Morrison — Special consideration
- Amy Phillips — Race Admin
- Jason Schlarb — Sponsor
- Bob Shebest — Race Admin
- Mike Wagner — Sponsor
Top Lottery Entrants
A total of 270 names were drawn during yesterday’s lottery, and among them were a small number of speedy and notable athletes.
- James Elson (UK)
- Jamie Frink
- Becky Kirschenmann
- Pierre Loic-Deragne (France)
- Amy Rusiecki
- Zach Violett
- Christopher Wehan
Methods of Later Entry
Top runners still have three routes by which they can gain entry into the 2016 WS100.
Golden Ticket Races
The previous Montrail Ultra Cup race series, which awarded entries into WS100 and prize money for the series, has dissolved for 2016. In its place is the six-race Golden Ticket Races (now sponsored by Sharman Ultra Endurance Coaching ), and up to 24 WS100 entries will be given to top finishers of these races:
- January 9 — Bandera 100k (Texas)
- February 6 — Sean O’Brien 100k (California)
- February 13 — Black Canyon 100k (Arizona)
- March 19 — Georgia Death Race (68 miles) (Georgia)
- April 2 — Gorge Waterfalls 100k (Oregon)
- April 9 — Lake Sonoma 50 Mile (California)
Ultra-Trail World Tour
UltraRunning Race Series
The UltraRunning Race Series will award entry to the runners at the top of its ranking on April 24, 2016.
Call for Comments
- Any contenders who are already in the race who we’ve not included above? Let us know who we missed!
- Who can you see winning the women’s and men’s races in 2016?
- Anyone you’re hoping will try to gain entry via the Ultra-Trail World Tour or Golden Ticket Races? If you’re a speedster and are trying to get in via either route, let us know!