2013 Run Rabbit Run 100 (Hare Race) Results
September 14, 2013 by Bryon Powell · 62 Comments
Sun, clouds, lightning, rain, a bit of snow, bears, and the darkness of wild places at night, the mountains surrounding Steamboat Springs served up heaping portions of all that September in Colorado is known for. And, this quintessential Colorado backdrop acted as excellent proving grounds for this year’s drove of men and women in the Run Rabbit Run 100 Hare’s Race. (Bonus natural-history lesson: now you know what a group of hares is called, too!)
The women’s race was dominated from almost start to finish by Colorado’s Michele Yates (post-race interview). And while the men’s race saw some jockeying among that lead fellas’ for more miles than the ladies, it was Montana’s Jason Schlarb (post-race interview) who emerged the leader by the halfway point. For winning the Hare’s Race, Michele and Jason take home a pretty penny, $10,000 each.
In addition to this article, you can find our full play-by-play of the race as well as a collection of our pre-race interviews and preview on our Run Rabbit Run 100 Live Coverage page.
As usual, we’ll be updating this article with additional results as well as links to Run Rabbit Run 100-related articles, photo galleries, and race reports.
Thanks to Hoka One One for sponsoring iRunFar’s coverage of the race.
2013 Run Rabbit Run 100 Men’s Race
Dave Mackey set the pace early, holding the lead for much of the first 40 miles. By mile 45, the trio of Jason Schlarb, Karl Meltzer, and Josh Arthur went by Mackey. Although Schlarb opened a small gap not long after, his lead was less than 10 minutes at mile 70. However, he continued to feel excellent all day–as good as one could hope to in a 100-mile race–and quickly added more than 20 minutes to his lead between miles 75 and 82. In the end, he would win by 77 minutes.
Meltzer hung onto second place, while Arthur’s quads blew out by mile 80. That opened the door for Jeff Browning to move into third place just five miles before the finish. Only two weeks after taking fourth at the TNF UTMB (post-UTMB interview), Timothy Olson ran a consistent race to earn fifth, the final money spot.
2013 Run Rabbit Run 100 Men’s Results
- Jason Schlarb (Hoka One One) – 17:15:20 (post-race interview)
- Karl Meltzer (Hoka One One) – 18:32:07 (pre-race interview)
- Jeff Browning (Patagonia) – 18:52:00 (pre-race interview)
- Josh Arthur (Altra) –19:06:00
- Timothy Olson (The North Face) – 19:46:33
- Jesse Haynes (INKnBURN) – 20:12:11
- Chris Dickey – 21:45:21
- Jesse Rickert – 21:45:21
- John Anderson (Rock/Creek) – 23:18:49
- Paul Terranova – 23:44:46
2013 Run Rabbit Run 100 Women’s Race
Though she let a couple women lead out the steep climb from the start line to the top of Mt. Werner at mile 4.4, it wasn’t long after that when Michele Yates settled into her top position. By mile 17, she’d put a nearly minute-per-mile lead on the rest of the women’s field. That lead topped out at around 50 minutes by mile 75 before Nikki Kimball started shrinking that gap. In the end, Yates would rebuild her lead and win by 42 minutes. Rhonda Claridge passed Becky Wheeler on the final climb to take third.
2013 Run Rabbit Run 100 Women’s Results
- Michele Yates (Ultimate Direction/GU) – 20:16:54 (post-race interview)
- Nikki Kimball (The North Face) – 20:59:13 (pre-race interview along with Pam Smith)
- Rhonda Claridge – 21:45:05
- Becky Wheeler (Pearl Izumi) – 21:55:59
- Pam Smith (La Sportiva) – 22:38:50 (pre-race interview along with Nikki Kimball)
- Melanie Fryar – 23:12:35
- Jenny Pierce – 24:04:42
- Cassie Scallon (Salomon) – 24:49:26
- Alyssa Wildeboer (Pearl Izumi) – 24:56:05
- Salynda Fleury – 26:43:21
2013 Run Rabbit Run 100 Articles, Race Reports, and More
Articles, Photo Galleries, and Video
- Altra video about Josh Arthur at RRR100
- Race Director Fred Abramowitz’s RRR 50 and 100 report on Colorado Runner
- Hoka One One video on RRR100 and Jason Schlarb’s win
- Matt Trappe’s photo gallery
- Julbo’s interview with Jason Schlarb
- Jason Schlarb (1st man)
- Jeff Browning (3rd man)
- Josh Arthur (4th man)
- Timothy Olson (5th man)
- Paul Terranova (10th man)
- Michele Yates (1st woman)
- Pam Smith (5th woman)
- Melanie Fryar (6th woman)
- Jen Benna (13th woman)
- Dave Mackey (DNF)
Thanks to Matt Curtis and Sarah Kostin for helping provide on-course coverage of the race!