2012 USATF Mountain/Ultra/Trail National Championship Schedule
The 2012 USATF Mountain/Ultra/Trail National Championship schedule has been announced. Many of the races are the same such as the Bandera 100k, Caumsett 50k, and Continental Divide Trail Run while the Moab Trail Marathon is a new addition to the USATF Championship lineup. There won’t be a USATF Road 100k championship due to the Mad City 100k being so close to the IAU 100k World Championships (see bottom). The Mount Washington Road Race will be the USATF Mountain Running Championship for both men and women. The men’s team for the Mountain Running World Championships will be selected at Mount Washington, while the women’s team will be selected at the Loon Mountain Race in July.
2012 USATF Mountain/Ultra/Trail National Championships
- January 7 – Bandera 100k – Trail 100k (Bandera, TX)
- March 3 – Nueces 50 Mile – Trail 50 Mile (Camp Eagle near Rocksprings, TX)
- March 4 – Caumsett 50k – Road 50k (Lloyd Neck, NY)
- May 5-6 – North Coast 24 Hour – 24 Hour (Cleveland, OH)
- June 10 – FootZone Dirty Half – Trail Half Marathon (Bend, OR)
- June 16 – Mt Washington Road Race – Mountain Running (North Conway, NH) *
- July 8 – Loon Mountain Race – Women’s MRT selector (Lincoln, NH) +
- July 28 – Burning River 100 Mile – Trail 100 Mile (Cleveland-Akron, OH)
- August 25 – Continental Divide Trail Race – Trail 10k (Laurel Springs, NC)
- September 22 – Flagline 50k – Trail 50k (Mt Bachelor outside Bend, OR)
- October 21 – Tussey Mountainback – Road 50 Mile (near State College, PA)
- November 3 – Moab Trail Mararthon – Trail Marathon (Kane Creek Canyon outside Moab, UT)
For the third straight year, there’ll be a USATF Trail Series Championship that includes all the marathon-and-under USATF championships. This year that means a three race series with the following distances: 10k, 1/2 marathon, marathon.
[* Mt Washington is also the men's Mountain Running Team selection race.
+ The Loon Mountain Race is the women's Mountain Running Team selection race.]
2012 Mountain/Ultra/Trail World Championships
Here are a few international trail and ultramarathon championships of note:
- April 22 – IAU 100k World Championship (Seregno, Italy)
- September 2 – World Mountain Running Championship
- September 8-9 – IAU 24 Hour World Championship (Katowice, Poland)
- September 8-9 – WMRA Long Distance Mountain Running Challenge (Interlaken, Switzerland)
- October 20 – IAU 50k World Cup – Vallecrosia-Bordighera, Italy
Call for Comments
- Are you planning on running one of these races?
- What do you think about the races on the schedule?
- Do you pay particular attention to who wins USATF national championships?