We thought it would be useful to collect all iRunFar’s articles on the Marathon des Sables stage race in one place. While the articles are written with MdS in mind, they provide information useful in preparing for any self-sufficient stage race and those held in desert locations in particular.
We begin with our Marathon des Sables Guide, which lists articles covering heat acclimation, gear selection, and nutritional choices. Next, we highlight our coverage of the 2009 Marathon des Sables followed by a set of articles on training for MdS, including a summary of pack training. Finally, there is a compilation of gear reviews for items iRunFar contributors have used at MdS.
If you are interested in the 2010 edition of the Marathon des Sables, read our extensive 2010 MdS coverage and results article. (We also previewed MdS 2010.) After the race, we conducted a video interview with champion Mohamad Ahansal.
|Marathon des Sables Guide
- Endurance Science: Heat Acclimation for Runners– Dr. Bill Henderson, and exercise physiologist lays out the science behind heat acclimation, as well as his own experience with the subject.
- Heat Acclimation for Runners: A Coach’s Analysis – A primer on heat acclimation for runners, an index of other heat acclimation sources, and Bryon Powell’s personal account of his heat training.
- Gear/Kit List for the Marathon des Sables – An overview of Bryon’s gear choices for MdS 2009 and changes he’d make for future desert stage races.
- Pack and Sleep System for the Marathon des Sables – Bryon discusses his MdS choices for pack, hydration system, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad, as well as what he’d do differently next time.
- Food for the Marathon des Sables – Bryon talks about his nutritional choices for MdS. Balancing weight, calories, and other nutritional needs is no easy task.
- Energy Gel Comparison – A comparison of energy gels, including energy density (weight is crucial at MdS), caffeine and electrolyte content, carbohydrate sources, and other functional ingredients.
- Footwear for the Marathon des Sables – A compilation of some of the shoes companies have built with the Marathon des Sables in mind. Bryon Powell also shares his shoe choice for MdS ’09.
|2009 Marathon des Sables Articles
|Bryon Powell of iRunFar competed in the 2009 Marathon des Sables. Here are the stories of his adventure.
- Marathon des Sables 2009: A New Challenge – Bryon Powell announces his decision to run MdS in 2009 and explains why.
- iRunFar Does the Marathon des Sables – Bryon reflects upon the race a week before toeing the line.
- MdS Prelude: The Deluge – Bryon talks about his travel to Morocco, his brief visit to Casablanca, his time in Ouarzazate prior to the race, and the flood that resulted in a night in an Erfoud hotel rather than the bivouac.
- MdS Admin Day Delay, First Stage Canceled – A quick news update in light of the once-in-15-years flooding and consideration of weather during the race.
- MdS Delusion – A weather update from Erfoud.
- MdS Admin Day Redo – An overview of race check-in and contemplation of course changes.
- MdS 2009: Team Dreamchasers USA – A photo of Bryon’s team not long before departure for Stage 1.
- MdS 2009: Stage 1 – A brief update from the bivouac after Stage 1. Bryon discusses his education in sand dunes running during the 33 kilometer stage.
- MdS 2009: Stage 2 – In another update from bivouac, Bryon talks about the flat, 36-kilometer second stage and the solid performances by his American compatriots.
- MdS 2009: Stage 3 (long stage) – The longest stage in MdS history – 91k (56 miles) – is the subject of this message from the bivouac. Bryon also notes his adventure of running at night after he broke his glasses.
- MdS 2009: Stage 4 and Overall Results – Bryon summarizes his 19th place finish, as well as the finishes by his team (3rd) as well as fellow Americans Meghan Hicks (second woman) and Michael Wardian (8th).