Whee! Lottery day is like Christmas Day, isn’t it? Congrats to everyone who gained entrance to the elusive 2014 Hardrock Hundred Endurance Run which will take place on July 11 to 13, 2014 in the San Juan Mountains from Silverton, Colorado. And, for the rest of us who didn’t get in or who aim to run this someday, we shall all keep dreaming! Let’s be clear, Hardrock isn’t a race, people. It’s a ‘run.’ But it’s one of the hardest and most aesthetic organized, 100-mile ‘runs’ on this planet. So attractive is this run that 1,279 folks applied to the lottery for the 2014 edition, which was held today.
Prior to the lottery, the race administration placed all of the lottery applicants in divisions based upon their previous experience (or not) with Hardrock and separate lotteries took place within each of the divisions. The divisions are ‘First-Timers,’ from which 35 spaces in the run were given, ‘Veterans,’ also from which 35 spaces were given, and ‘Everyone Else,’ from which 70 spaces were given. That’s a total of 140 entrants. Further, long waitlists were created for each division.
Even though this event is called a run and not a race, there are some men and women each year who attempt to run the course faster than everyone else in that year’s run and, possibly, faster than the course record. Below we document the men and women who were selected in the lottery today who we think will be the main 2014 contenders. We also mention who is on a waitlist and might get in, who is on a waitlist so far down they probably won’t get in, and who the unlucky, un-chosen runners were.
It looks as if the 2014 Hardrock will be a seriously competitive one up front. Kilian Jornet, Sebastian Chaigneau, Julien Chorier, and Tsuyashi Kaburaki will join Dakota Jones, Joe Grant, Timothy Olson, Jared Campbell, and others in the battle for the top positions on the men’s side. Darcy Africa, Diana Finkel, Rhonda Claridge, Jen Segger, and Abby McQueeney Penamonte and other strong women will certainly keep the women’s race exciting.
Here we go!
There’s only one way to bypass the lottery and get into Hardrock: by winning the previous edition! 2013 winners Sébastien Chaigneau and Darcy Africa have automatic entries into the 2014 run and both of them have chosen to use those entries.
Notable Men’s 2014 Hardrock 100 Entrants
Here are the high-level men who have a spot in the 2014 run.
- Jared Campbell (eight-time Hardrock finisher, 2010 winner, and seventh in 2013)
- Julien Chorier (2011 Hardrock winner)
- Nick Coury
- Ty Draney (fifth at 2012 Bear 100)
- Sébastien Chaigneau (see above, via automatic entrance from winning the 2013 race)
- Joe Grant
- Adam Hewey (ninth at 2013 Hardrock)
- Scott Jaime (seven-time Hardrock finisher, third in 2013)
- Dakota Jones
- Kilian Jornet
- Tsuyoshi Kaburaki (2013 Bighorn 100 winner)
- Jason Koop (13th at 2012 Hardrock)
- Eric Lee (2012 Nolan’s 14 finisher)
- Ted Mahon (six-time Hardrock finisher and fifth in 2013)
- Timothy Olson
- Erik Storheim (fifth at 2013 Wasatch 100)
Notable Women’s 2014 Hardrock Entrants
Here are the high-level women who have a spot in the 2014 run.
- Darcy Africa (see above, via automatic entrance from winning the 2013 race)
- Rhonda Claridge (second at 2012 Hardrock)
- Helen Cospolich
- Diana Finkel
- Abby Mcqueeney Penamonte (2013 Grand Slam of Ultrarunning winner)
- Jen Segger (sixth at the 2012 Leadville 100)
Waitlisted Men with at Least a Remote Chance of Getting In
Here are the male contenders who were chosen in the top 15 slots of the First-Timers waitlist, the top 15 slots of the Veterans waitlist, or the top 30 slots of the Everyone Else waitlist. These men have a good shot of getting off their respective waitlists and into the run.
- Jeff Browning (2nd place on Everyone Else waitlist)
- Adam Campbell (2nd place on First-Timers waitlist)
Waitlisted Women with at Least a Remote Chance of Getting In
Here is the female contender who was chosen in either the top 15 slots of the First-Timers waitlist, the top 15 slots of the Veterans waitlist, or the top 30 slots of the Everyone Else waitlist. She’s got a decent shot of running.
- Sara Evans McCloskey (11th on Everyone Else waitlist)
Notable Did-Not-Get-Ins and Waitlisted Men with No Chance of Getting In
Here are some fast men who weren’t chosen in the lottery or are so far down their respective waitlist that there is almost no chance of them getting in.
- John Anderson
- Chris Askew
- Rod Bien
- Patrick Bohard
- Chad Brackelsberg
- Ryan Burch
- Nick Clark
- Cameron Clayton
- Jamil Coury
- Andy Dorais
- Mike Foote
- Neal Gorman
- Matt Hart
- Jesse Haynes
- Nickademus Hollon
- Troy Howard
- Dave James
- Iker Karerra
- Anton Krupicka
- Jason Lantz
- Nick Lewis
- Dave Mackey
- Brett Maune
- Steven Moore
- Nick Pedatella
- Gary Robbins
- Jason Schlarb
- Ian Sharman
- Damian Stoy
- Ian Torrence
- Brendan Trimboli
- Zach Violett
- Michael Wardian
- Mike Wolfe
Notable Did-Not-Get-Ins and Waitlisted Women with No Chance of Getting In
Here are some fast women who weren’t chosen in the lottery or are so far down their respective waitlist that there is almost no chance of them getting in.
- Meghan Arbogast
- Darla Askew
- Jennifer Benna
- Denise Bourassa
- Meaghen Brown
- Kerrie Bruxvoort
- Candice Burt
- Jenny Capel
- Kelly Cronin
- Leila Degrave
- Katie Desplinter
- Salynda Fleury
- Gill Fowler
- Keira Henninger
- Emily Judd
- Nikki Kimball
- Bethany Lewis
- Claire Price
- Angela Shartel
- Katrin Silva
- Ann Trason
- Nerea Martínez Urruzola
- Joelle Vaught
- Becky Wheeler
- Paulette Zilmer
Call for Comments
- Who are you most excited about running the 2014 Hardrock 100?
- Who are your picks as favorites? Did we miss anyone who should be on these lists?
- If you’re in, how excited are you to be racing Hardrock next year?