In a short time, the COVID-19 pandemic has changed each of our lives. It’s easy to feel anxious, uncertain, and weary when our lifestyles and normal running are completely uprooted, when we observe the grievous pain and suffering caused by the COVID-19 virus around the world, and when we need to live in relative isolation to help combat the virus’s spread.
The iRunFar community stretches around the world. Even if you feel alone right now, we want you to know that we remain together through iRunFar and our running. Today, we launch Operation Inspiration, a collection of virtual activities and articles meant to help us stay connected, inspire one another, and find routine in our new circumstances.
Operation Inspiration’s Schedule of Events
- March 23 through 29 – Operation Inspiration’s Solo Seven Challenge– A seven-day solo workout challenge based in iRunFar’s Strava club. You can find details here.
- April 2 – Operation Inspiration’s Airdrop #1 – This iRunFar article will share photos, videos, and stories of how iRunFar community members are finding inspiration as they run and work out through this crisis. (More on how to share your inspiration below.)
- April 4 – Operation Inspiration Virtual Race – Join the iRunFar global community in an hour-long workout (or longer), raise money for the World Health Organizations’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, and be eligible for a random prize giveaway among other race features.
- April 8 – Operation Inspiration’s Airdrop #2 – Another delivery of inspiration on iRunFar.
- April 12 – Operation Inspiration Virtual Race Prizes Announcement – We’ll announce the winners of the random prize drawing among all Virtual Race entrants
- Through April 12 – Operation Inspiration’s COVID-19 Fundraiser – Join the global running community in donating to the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.
In the coming days, we’ll roll out all the details on how to participate in each of these activities as well as our fundraising plans. Stay tuned!
Operation Inspiration’s Health and Safety Guidelines
As hard as it is to say out loud, we’re amidst a global health crisis. Our participation in Operation Inspiration must use the utmost care for the safety of ourselves, our community members, and our local government regulations.
In this light, we:
- Ask you to follow all your local government requirements and guidelines;
- Ask you to follow the social distancing and health suggestions in our article, COVID-19: A Trail Running and Ultrarunning Community Guide;
- Discourage you from running with anyone outside your household;
- Discourage you from traveling more than a very short distance to go for a run;
- Discourage you from remote or risky runs that might divert healthcare professionals to your search or care; and
- Encourage you to be creative in finding inspiring runs that have been hiding in plain sight or finding ways to make your indoor workouts more enjoyable.
- From now through April 5, submit photos, videos, and stories from your inspiring runs or other workouts to operationinspiration at irunfar dot com. We’ll choose from among the submissions in our Airdrop articles.
- Please limit submissions to 2 paragraphs of text, 3 photos (horizontal layout preferred), and/or 1 video up to 30 seconds in length (again, horizontal layout, please).
- If your submissions are too large for email attachments, upload them to your public cloud of choice and send a cloud link as part of your email message to operationinspiration at irunfar dot com.
- Include your name and where you live, and limit submissions to 1 per person.
By submitting, you give us permission to use your name, location, and all or part of your submission in Operation Inspiration’s Airdrop articles, related video, and sharing these works on social media. We will never use your contact information or submissions for any other purpose.
In these highly dynamic times, anything can change in the flash of an eye, so we’ll modify Operation Inspiration as needed. Whatever happens, we’ll do our best to keep the inspiration flowing!
Now, go inspire yourself and others!
– Bryon, Meghan, and the iRunFar Team
Operation Inspiration’s Brand Support
Thanks so much to Operation Inspiration’s brand partners who’ve helped make this project possible!