2013 Speedgoat 50k Results and Roundup
July 27, 2013 by Bryon Powell · 55 Comments
On the day the started cool and rainy, there was plenty of hot racing action at the 2013 Speedgoat 50k with both the men’s and women’s course records going down Sage Canaday (post-race interview) and Stephanie Howe (post-race interview). Canaday led from mile four to the finish while Howe passed Jodee Adams-Moore in the final downhill to take the women’s winner.
In addition, you can find our full play-by-play of the race as well as a collection of our pre-race interviews and preview on our 2013 Speedgoat 50k Live Coverage page.
As usual, we’ll be updating this article with additional results as well as links to Speedgoat 50k-related articles, photo galleries, and race reports.
Thanks to Hoka One One for sponsoring iRunFar’s coverage of the race.
2013 Speedgoat 50k Men’s Race
Sage Canaday and Max King took the race out in the early miles, jointing leading halfway through the first 8.3 mile climb. That’s when Canaday made a move in hopes of catching the $1,000 prime atop Hidden Peak. He captured that prime before building a 9-minute lead by mile 21.
At the same time King and Anton Krupicka settled in together and ran within 50 meters of one another until shortly after hitting the Larry’s Hole aid station at mile 21. That’s when Anton Krupicka went into hunting mode as he knew he closed 9 minutes on Kilian Jornet in the final 10 miles in last year’s race. He closed the gap to 4 minutes behind Canaday at the top of the final summit at mile 26, but could only come within 90 seconds before the finish.
On the other hand, King faded in the last 10 miles with Jason Schlarb passing him before the final descent.
2013 Speedgoat 50k Men’s Results
- Sage Canaday (SCOTT Sports) – 5:08:07 (post-race interview)
- Anton Krupicka (New Balance) – 5:09:36 (post-race interview)
- Jason Schlarb (Hoka One One) – 5:19:34
- Max King (Montrail) – 5:29:02
- Justin Yates – 5:42:24
- Luke Nelson (Patagonia) – 5:47:09
- Timothy Olson (The North Face) – 5:47:10
- Jason Loutitt (The North Face) – 5:49:35
- Michael Barlow – 5:53:37
- Ryan Smith – 5:53:51
2013 Speedgoat 50k Women’s Race
Jodee Adams-Moore lead early in this years Speedgoat to take the Hidden Peak prime. Alicia Shay, Stephanie Howe, and Ruby Muir all came over the top within 8 and 10 minutes of Adams-Moore.
Adams-Moore, Howe, and Ruby continued to roll on to Pacific Mine at halfway while Shay quickly fell back. (She would later drop at mile 21.) That threesome continued on in the same order with the latter two being 7 and 10 minutes back at mile 21. As with Anton in the men’s race, that’s when Stephanie began her move.
At Hidden Peak 2 (mile 26.2), Howe had closed Adams-Moore’s lead from 7 to 4 minutes while Muir remained the same 10 minutes back. Howe beat Adams-Moore by a minute per mile over the final five miles to win by a scant minute. Muir held on to finish third eight minutes back.
Krissy Moehl ran in fourth all day once she passed Shay.
2013 Speedgoat 50k Women’s Results
- Stephanie Howe (The North Face) – 6:17:02 (post-race interview)
- Jodee Adams-Moore – 6:18:06
- Ruby Muir (Vibram FiveFingers) – 6:25:54
- Emma Roca (Hoka One One) – 6:41:21
- Krissy Moehl (Patagonia) – 6:43:54
- Becky Wheeler (Pearl Izumi) – 6:48:43
- Silke Koester – 6:52:16
- Erica Baron – 6:55:46
- Anita Ortiz (Salomon) – 7:02:18
- Francesca Canepa (Vibram) – 7:05:14
2013 Speedgoat 50k Articles, Race Reports, and More
Articles and Photo Galleries
- Matt Trappe’s excellent photo gallery
- Derrick Lytle’s extensive photo gallery
- Brad and Lori Clayton’s photo gallery
- Sam Winebaum’s photo-based article on the race