On Wednesday afternoon around 2:00 p.m., after pulling into our local Gander Mountain Outfitters to pick up some supplies for the aid station I was helping organize at the Grindstone 100 Mile, my phone pinged with an ominous announcement: the United States Forest Service had just revoked race director Clark Zealand’s race permit. The race, scheduled to begin in just over two days, had been abruptly cancelled.
Now I have no reason to quibble with the decision of the forest service as I am sure they have ample reason to cancel the permit given the weather conditions and bad long-range forecast. Additionally, I understand that there are many factors which play in to such a decision. However, I cannot help but share in the anguish of dealing with such a cancellation as a runner.
I have had this happen to me several times. The two most notable occasions were Western States in 2008 and Coyote Two Moon in 2011. In the case of the former, I was notified on the Wednesday preceding the race while I was packing my car and in the case of the latter it was when I ran into the 67-mile aid station and was told, “Race is canceled.” It is never easy to stomach.
All that being said, we all need to understand that last-minute race cancellations are inevitable in certain circumstances. As we choose our races, we know clearly that the potential for such cancellations, particularly on public lands in volatile weather conditions, is always possible. But that still doesn’t make it easy on the stomach. Just in the last 24 hours, I know of disappointed Grindstone runners who have faced the hardship of nonrefundable hotel rooms and airline tickets as well as the gut-wrenching realization that, as one of the few East Coast 100s that they can use for qualification, they are potentially losing out on their last opportunity to complete a qualifying race for Western States and Hardrock.
However, at the time of this writing, it should be noted that all is not lost. The tireless Clark Zealand and his team have been working around the clock to salvage the event and potentially re-schedule it for the following weekend. Working with their loyal volunteers, the Boy Scout camp that hosts the start/finish, and the forest service, Clark is doing everything in his power to bring the race to the people. Obviously, given all the circumstances it is an uphill battle but Clark, rather than simply saying “Sorry folks, nothing I can do, see you next year,” is putting the rest of his life on hold to endeavor to get this done. For me, as a long-time ultrarunner and beneficiary of selfless race directors across the country, I am in awe of Clark’s tenacity, loyalty, and discipline.
So to Clark and your team….
AJW’s Beer of the Week
Call for Comments (from Meghan)
- Have you signed up for a race that was canceled last minute or during it for extreme weather or other emergent circumstances? If so, what was your reaction and what did you do instead?
- Were you supposed to run Grindstone this weekend?