Giorgio Calcaterra of Italy successfully defended his 100k World Championship in his home country winning in a time of 6:23:20. That’s 6:10 per mile for 62.1 miles, folks! (Calcaterra post-race interview) Jonas Buud of Sweden moved up all race to finish second in 6:28:57. (Buud post-race interview) Alberico Di Cecco of Italy closed strong to finish third in 6:40:30. Asier Cuevas (6:44:54) of Spain was in the top three virtually all day. He held second until Buud passed him just after the 80km mark, but dropped to fourth after Di Cecco’s late pass. David Riddle (6:45:19) of the US rounded out the top five. The Italian men won the team championship followed by the US and France. You can read the play-by-play via an archive of our live coverage.
[Please note that we’ll be frequently updating these results today and through the coming days as more results, reports, and pictures come in.]
Giorgio Calcaterra winning the 2012 IAU 100k World Championships.
Amy Sproston (Sproston post-race interview) of the United States won a remarkable women’s race in 7:34:08 moving up all day and only weeks after serious illness. After leading much of the second half of the race Sweden’s Kajsa Berg was passed by at least Meghan Arbogast and Sproston in the final 20k, but battled back to take second in 7:35:23. Russia’s Irina Vishnevskaya made a tremendous move late in the race to finish third in 7:36:01. Meghan Arbogast (Arbogast post-race interview) of the US faded hard after leading as late as 96km to take fourth in 7:41:52. Still, she took over 9 minutes off her old 50+ women’s 100k record (7:51:10) set at last year’s IAU world championships. American Pam Smith (Smith post-race interview) took fifth in 7:43:04 to cap a decisive victory for the American women’s team, which had all three scoring positions filled by Oregon residents. Japan and Russia were the second and third place teams.
Amy Sproston 2012 wins IAU 100k World Championships
Men’s 2012 IAU 100k World Championship Results
- Giorgia Calcaterra (Italy) – 6:23:20
- Jonas Buud (Sweden) – 6:28:57 (National record)
- Alberico Di Cecco (Italy) – 6:40:30
- Asier Cuevas (Spain) – 6:44:54
- David Riddle (USA) – 6:45:19 (race report)
- André Collet (Germany) – 6:45:48
- Jon Olsen (USA) – 6:48:52
- Michael Wardian (USA) – 6:48:59
- Dominique Bordet (France) – 9:53:21
- Joe Binder (USA) – 6:54:31
Full men’s results (pdf). Men’s team results (pdf).
Women’s 2012 IAU 100k World Championship Results
- Amy Sproston (USA) – 7:34:08 (race report)
- Kajsa Berg (Sweden) – 7:35:23 (National Record)
- Irina Vishnevskaya (Russia) – 7:36:01
- Meghan Arbogast (USA) – 7:41:52 (Women’s 50+ World Record, Old Record: Arbogast ’11 7:51:10) (race report)
- Pam Smith (USA) – 7:43:04 (race report)
- Judit Földingné Nagy (Hungary) – 7:43:55
- Mami Kudo (Japan) – 7:48:05
- Yuko Ito (Japan) – 7:57:19
- Marina Zanardi (Italy) – 7:58:07
- Mai Fujisawa (Japan) – 7:58:38
Full women’s results (pdf). Women’s team results (pdf).
Last Updated: May 4, 2012