Kilian Jornet: National Geographic People’s Choice Adventurer Of The Year
February 12, 2014 by Meghan Hicks · 7 Comments
Congratulations to Kilian Jornet who was named the 2014 National Geographic People’s Choice Adventurer of the Year.
National Geographic has been honoring Adventurers of the Year for nine years. For 2014, National Geographic chose 13 individuals as their Adventurers of the Year, including alpinists, community builders, a long-distance swimmer, a snowboarder, educators, and Kilian Jornet. National Geographic’s description of Kilian highlighted him as a ‘skyrunner’ who uses skill sets from multiple sports–such as trail running and mountaineering–to push the boundaries of human ability. National Geographic cites Kilian’s record ‘run’ from Chamonix, France to the top of Mont Blanc and return and his record ‘run’ of the Matterhorn summit from Breuil-Cervinia in Italy, which both occurred in 2013 as examples of Kilian’s use of diverse skills to get the ‘job’ done.
If you’re visiting iRunFar for the first time to learn more about Kilian, we’re an online magazine dedicated to sharing the people, places, and things that make trail running and ultrarunning awesome. We share stories–the best stories–of our sport in the form of race reports, interviews, profiles, gear reviews, educational resources, opinion pieces from our sport’s leaders, general editorial content, and much more. Thanks for stopping by!
If you’d like to learn more about Kilian Jornet, we’ve interviewed and written about him many times over the past five years. Here are the highlights, with our earliest interviews and information first and our most recent articles last:
- Kilian’s 2009 Tahoe Rim Trail Record – A Pacer’s Perspective
- 2010 Western States 100 – Pre-Race and Post-Race (video interviews on both sides of Kilian’s third-place finish)
- 2011 Western States 100 – Pre-Race and Post-Race (video interviews on both sides of Kilian’s win)
- 2011 Ultra-Trail du Mont Blanc – Pre-Race and Post-Race (video interviews on both sides of Kilian’s win)
- Kilian’s Racing Nutrition
- Post-2012 TransVulcania Ultramarathon (post-race video interview after Kilian’s third-place finish)
- 2012 Zegama Marathon (post-race video interview after Kilian’s win)
- An introduction to Summits of My Life, Kilian’s multi-year quest on many of the world’s most iconic mountains
- Pre-2012 Speedgoat 50k (video interview)
- Grand Teton Fastest Known Time (video interview after Kilian’s then-FKT in 2012)
- 2012 Pikes Peak Marathon (post-race interview after Kilian’s win)
- A review of A Fine Line, a filming highlighting the start of Kilian’s Summits of My Life project
- 2013 TransVulcania Ultramarathon – Pre-Race and Post-Race (video interviews on both sides of Kilian’s win)
- Matterhorn FKT interview (a written interview with Kilian after he set the Matterhorn FKT in 2013)
For a sampling of what iRunFar is all about, take a look at the following resources:
- The Best of iRunFar in 2013
- How to Train for an Ultramarathon
- iRunFar’s shoe reviews
- iRunFar’s regular columns
- Your Ultra-Training Bag of Tricks (a collection of ultramarathon training articles)
- Ultramarathon clubs (get out there yourself!)
- TrailPorn.com (safe-for-work images to inspire the trail runner in all of us)
Call for Comments
- Kilian is the People’s Choice Adventurer of the Year! Did you vote for him? Why do you think he was chosen by the voting majority for this award?
- Do you agree with National Geographic’s analysis of Kilian’s ability to mish-mash skills from many sports to do things others aren’t doing?