Western States 100 2014 Lottery Results
December 7, 2013 by Andy Jones-Wilkins · 16 Comments
The lottery for the 2014 Western States 100 was held today confirming the vast majority of next year’s field, including many of the elites. However, most of the elites secured entry prior to the lottery and that’s where we’ll start.
The WSER website has a full list of the 2014 Western States 100 entrants. (Initially, this list will contain pre-lottery entrants only.)
Women’s Top Ten Returnees
Everyone one from last year’s women’s top 10, with the exception of Rory Bosio, will be back for next year’s race.
- Pam Smith (La Sportiva) – 18:37:21 (finish line and post-race interviews)
- Nikki Kimball (The North Face) – 19:21:43 (post-race interview)
- Amy Sproston (Montrail) – 19:25:11 (pre-race and post-race interviews)
- Meghan Arbogast (SCOTT Sports) – 19:30:50
Rory Bosio (The North Face) – 19:52:09 (pre-race interview)
- Aliza Lapierre (Salomon) – 20:04:46 (pre-race interview)
- Emily Harrison (AdiUltra) – 20:28:40 (pre-race interview)
- Denise Bourassa (Patagonia) – 21:44:37
- Leila Degrave (Inov-8) – 21:59:26
- Abby McQueeney Penamonte – 22:36:29
Men’s Top Ten Returnees
Similarly, nine of last year’s top-10 men plan to be back in 2014. The lone exception, the two-time defending champ Timothy Olson.
Timothy Olson (The North Face) – 15:17:27 (pre-race, finish line, and post-race interviews as well race report)
- Rob Krar (now The North Face) – 15:22:05 (pre-race, finish line, and post-race interviews)
- Mike Morton (Allied Van Lines and, now, Hoka One One) – 15:45:21 (masters course record) (pre-race and post-race interviews)
- Ian Sharman (SCOTT Sports) – 16:20:25
- Dylan Bowman (Pearl Izumi) – 16:32:18 (pre-race interview)
- Nick Clark (Pearl Izumi) – 16:56:23 (pre-race interview)
- Jesse Haynes (INKnBURN) – 17:44:36
- Paul Terranova (now, Hoka One One) – 17:56:29
- Yassine Diboun (Inov-8) – 18:44:02
- Karl Meltzer (Hoka One One) – 18:51:55
A few top international runners gained entry via the Foreign Resident – Special Consideration route. Among these are Jez Bragg, who’s run WS multiple times, logging third- and fourth-place finishes; Miguel Heras, who has twice won the TNF 50; and Vajin Armstrong, who has won the American River 50 Mile.
- Vajin Armstrong
- Jez Bragg
- Miguel Heras
- Javier Montero
- Gustavo Reyes
Several other top-10 contenders gained entry via another Automatic Entry route:
- Serena Wilcox – Sponsor
- Scott Wolfe – Race Admin (i.e., aid station captain designee)
- Dan Barger – Race Admin
- Mark Lantz - Raffle Winner
Top Lottery Entrants
One high-level woman gained entry through the lottery today:
- Stephanie Howe
Four high-level men gained entry through the lottery today:
- Gary Gellin
- Glen Redpath
- Seth Swanson
- James Bonnett (Amazingly, James had his name drawn three times!)
Methods of Later Entry
Top runners still have two routes by which they can gain entry into Western States ’14.
Up to 30 runners will be able to run their way in by being one of the top-three men or women at the following Montrail Ultra Cup races:
- January 11 – Bandera 100k
- February 1 – Rocky Raccoon 100 mile
- February 1 – Sean O’Brien 50 mile
- April 12 – Lake Sonoma 50 mile
- May 10 – Ice Age 50 mile
An additional six slots will be available to top contenders via the Ultra-Trail World Tour. Details on how these UTWT spots will be awarded is forthcoming.
Call for Comments (from Bryon)
- Any contenders who are already in the race that we’ve not included above?
- Who can you see winning the women’s and men’s races in 2014?
- Anyone you’re hoping will try to gain entry via the Ultra-Trail World Tour or Montrail Ultra Cup? If you’re a speedster and are going to try to get in via either route, let us know!