The Voices of Hardrock – Part 1: Adventure
I became intrigued by Hardrock after listening to the passion from finishers, pacers, and camp Hardrock attendees and watched the number of entrants vying for limited spots steadily increase each year. I was also interested in how this race seems to maintain its roots even with so much pressure to change and be like other ultras. I realized Hardrock is a different beast than other 100 milers. I spoke with a small cross section of finishers and champions to understand what makes this event special, to learn about the event’s culture, and to hear incredible stories. I hope you enjoy the voices as much as I did and have a new appreciation and understanding of the event they call the Hardrock Hundred Mile Endurance Run.
The Voices of Hardrock
- Betsy Kalmeyer – 12-time Hardrock finisher, 5-time winner, and Hardrock board member. Hoping to get her 13th finish in 2012.
- Dakota Jones – Finished second in 2011. Native of nearby Durango, Colorado. Currently living in Silverton training. The favorite for the 2012 event.
- Diana Finkel – 4-time Hardrock finisher, 4 time winner. Almost won the event out right in 2010. One of favorites for 2012 if she can stay on course.
- Jamil Coury – Finisher in 2009. Currently living and training in Silverton with hopes of moving off the wait list into the 2012 run.
- Jared Campbell – 6-time Hardrock finisher, 2010 winner. Prefers ridges and climbing to running. Looking for his 7th finish in 2012.
- Karl Meltzer – 6-time Hardrock finisher, 5 time winner. Loves training and hanging out before the event as much as the run. If young bucks blow up, has a chance to win again in 2012.
- Lori Bantekas – Finisher in 2009. Multi-time camp Hardrock attendee and lover of Silverton. Pacing in 2012.
- Mark Heaphy – 13-time Hardrock finisher. Mark’s wife, Margaret, stopped in a bar in Telluride to order and eat a burger and then won the 1994 Hardrock Run. In the run for 2012.
- Roch Horton – 10-time Hardrock finisher. Aid station captain at Kroger’s Canteen at Virginius Pass. Will look through your soul if you make it up Virginius in 2012.
- The Music – The UltrAspire band with vocals by Roch Horton.