The Western States 100 is the most widely covered ultramarathon in North America… by a long shot. Rather than bore you with yet another report on the race or some lame photos from our iPhone, we’re gathering the best Western States coverage from around the internet to share with you. Please feel free to note additional resources in a comment.
While we’re not writing a Western States race report, we did put together a pretty tremendous (in our opinion) set of interviews before and after the race. Check out our Western States 100 Index for all of those interviews and additional iRunFar coverage of this and other Western States 100s. OK, ok, to whet your appetite for our coverage, our two most popular interviews are post-race chats with Geoff Roes and Anton Krupicka.
Top Competitors Race Reports
- Goeff Roes (1st) – Geoff now has his full race report up. He previously published a short post entitled, It Doesn’t Get Much Better Than That.
- Anton Krupicka (2nd) – Anton’s lengthy blow-by-blow report is now up on RunningTimes.com. Anton kicked off his reporting on the race with a short note with pictures, saying WS 100 ’10 was the most fun he’d ever had in a race. Anton has now added a great image-based race report.
- Kilian Jornet (3rd) – If you can read Spanish, Kilian has posted his race report. Don’t read Spanish? Here’s a Google translation of the report, which does well enough to convey the race from his perspective.
- Nick Clark (4th) – A thorough race report with fun video of his finish… you can hear Kilian Jornet finish ahead of him. There’s also Justin Mock’s pacer’s report.
- Gary Robbins (6th) – Gary has now posted a full race report from his great run at Western States. Gary first provided a brief report on his very smart run.
- Glen Redpath (7th) – Glen writes of slaying his Western States dragons.
- Ian Sharman (8th) – Ian wrote a novella of his experience in two parts: the first 62 miles & the final 38 miles.
- Andy Jones-Wilkins (9th) – Learn how this 6-consecutive-time top-10 man makes it happen. (For the record, I did pull a superman pacing AJW… but he left out my rebounding via “The Worm.”)
- Meghan Arbogast (2nd) – Meghan reports on “finally getting it.”
- Annette Bednosky (8th) – Former Western States champ talking about running within her training.
- Devon Crosby-Helms (DNF) – Devon was pulled from the course at Michigan Bluff. Her story’s still worth reading.
- Full Western States Results
- Endurance Planet Interview with Bryon Powell regarding the race
- Sacramento Bee article regarding the competition
- Sacramento Bee article on Amy Palmiero-Winters, the first amputee to finish Western States
- Auburn Journal article on men’s race
- Auburn Journal article on women’s race
- Auburn Journal article on rookies dominance at this year’s race
- Competitor Running interview with Geoff Roes
- Mail Tribune on Hal Koerner’s DNF
- Sacramento Bee slideshow – 25 great photos by Carl Costas
- Glenn Tachiyama’s album – He is the ultra photographer of record. Find out why.
- Luis Escobar’s Facebook album – Luis’s focus and ultra experience pay off in this set of shots.
- Salomon Running album on Facebook – Yes, it’s Kilian heavy, but there are some great shots of the competition.
- Goeff Roes’s final mile on YouTube
Please feel free to leave a comment if you know of a good 2010 Western States 100 race report, photo set, video, article, or other resource.