Earth Week Trail Gear ReUseAPalooza 2010!
April 19, 2010 by Bryon Powell · 173 Comments
Over the weekend I was throwing on my favorite Atayne tee shirt when I read “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Run” for the eleventy gagillionth time. This time, the shirt sparked me to focus on “reuse” during Earth Week. Luckily for all of you, I spent two weeks earlier this month organizing the iRunFar offices and have an entire box filled with stuff to give away. Ah, and since Atayne was our muse, we’re giving away four you-can-only-get-them-here organic cotton Atayne tees with the “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Run” slogan. (If you love Atayne or you love iRunFar… check back later in the week! ;-) )
Did we mention that we already had an entire box of gear to giveaway? That mean’s we’re giving away two large boxes of gear. Anyway, you can read the rules or skip straight to the prizes. When you’re done, we ask that you take a quick glance at our favor.
Before we go, we’ll encourage you to pass along you no longer used (or rarely used) trail running gear to someone else who can use it. You’ll be helping someone out, decluttering your closet (and life), and reducing the resources needed to produce product the recipient would have otherwise purchased.
[Want some more Earth Week reading? Check out our Trail Running and the Environment articles.]
Really, there are no rules to speak of. To enter, just leave a comment (please do this directly on the website) with your name and location. While not necessary, please include your email in the confidential box above the main comment box to help expedite our getting your brand new gear out to you (if you win). In the name of responsible shipping (and our non-existent budget) we’re limiting this contest to American and Canadian shipping locations only.
We ask that you please note in the comment only the gear pieces in which you are most interested. Your specific requests add to our work, but mean the gear goes to the folks for whom it would be most useful. There’s no limit to the number of items you can enter (see paragraph below) to win, we just ask that you are thoughtful in entering the contest.
The drawing for each item will be random … for the most part. One caveat of this giveaway is that you’ll only walk away with one item with the exception of less significant prizes. (A good reason to only enter for the items you want most.) With that in mind, there may be instances where we will deliberately divvy up prizes so that more people walk away happy.
To be eligible, you need to enter by 5 p.m. PDT on Saturday, April 24. We’ll post results very late on Sunday, April 25.
You’ll notice that some of the products listed below indicate light use. All that usually means is that we briefly tested the product. We wouldn’t be giving you anything that’s heavily worn or that we wouldn’t accept if we needed that type of gear.
- Atayne Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Run Organic Cotton Tees (4 – 1 large & 3 medium, all men’s) – Get yourself the shirts that Atayne gave away before their awesome made-from-recycled-bottle performance shirts were available. They’re green (literally and figuratively). They’re soft. They’re something you want. Please specify a size when entering the drawing for your very own “4Rs” shirt.
- Vasque Blur SL (men’s 9) – A classic shoe from Vasque. What else can we say.
- La Sportiva Crossleather (men’s 9) – The leather version of the kick@ss Crosslite. Similarly, these are bad@ss. We wish we could justify keeping these!
- Karhu Strong Ride (men’s 9…fit like 8.5 – lightly used) – A pair of road shoes we tested for another publication. Note these might fit size 8.5 feet better than size 9 feet.
- Sofsole Athlete Insole (men’s 9-10.5) – Highly cushioned insoles.
- Ultra Lightweight Flipflops (1 of 3) – Basically lightweight foam cut in the shape of a flipflop. For camp use in desert stage races only.
- Moeben Arm Sleeves (small – white) – The trail proven standard in arm warmers.
- Old Pueblo 50 Brooks Tech SS Shirt (men’s medium) – A blue short sleeve shirt from the Old Pueblo 50 mile.
- Iroquois Trails Brooks Tech SS Shirt (women’s medium) – A white short sleeve from the inaugural Iroquois Trail runs with its sweet logo.
- Wasatch Speed Goat Tech SS Shirt (men’s medium) – An authentic Wasatch Speed Goat tee shirt. It’s gray. It’s awesome. (I’m keeping the one I raced in.)
- Conservation Alliance Recycled Tech SS shirt (men’s medium) – A black tech shirt made from recycled bottles.
- TNF Endurance Challenge Tech SS Shirt (men’s medium) – A “Flex Crew” from The North Face for last year’s Endurance Challenge.
- Brooks Run Tee (men’s small) – Blue casual tee with “Run” written on the front in big letters. Let folks know what you do when you’re doing what you love to do.
- Tech Hats (1 of 7) – It was time to let go of our hat collection. (More on that later in the week.) Not picky? Just ask for a tech hat. You particular? Well, then specify one or more of the following: Merrell hat, black HAT Run hat (tech wick), black HAT Run hat (mesh), Airborne hat by Sporthill, Montrail (nearly new), red HAT Run hat, GU-branded Headsweats hat.
- HAT Run casual hat – It’s tan, yo.
- Montrail Team – Mountain Hardwear Transition Pants (medium – barely worn) – The official pants of the 2007 Montrail Ultrarunning team … and I mean THE official pants. There’s Montrail branding at the bottom of one leg.
- Salomon 3/4 Exo Tights (medium – very light use) – Awesome 3/4 length tights that I wish fit, especially for recovery purposes.
- Pearl Izumi rain shell (medium – very light use) – I picked this up before the Leadville 100 in 2006. Not the most breathable rain shell, but it will keep your core dry. FYI, there’s no hood.
- Nike windbreaker (medium – lightly used) – A decade old windbreaker that’s still in great shape save for the missing cinch cord around the waist. It’s black with some white and aqua pieces, though it’s pretty subdued. No hood.
- Columbia Trail Shorts (men’s medium – lightly used) – Long-style trail shorts with the HAT Run 50k logo.
- Short Sleeve Tech Shirts (1 of 6 – men’s medium- used) – If you’re really in need of some tech shirts, we’ve got six more ranging from very lightly used to well used, but in good shape.
- Outdoor Research Sahara Cap (medium – lightly used) – A highly functional sun protection hat. Cape comes off when not needed.
- Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat (medium – lightly used) – Goofy as hell? Yes. Eclipse-like sun protection? Yup! I wore this on a double crossing of Hope Pass in 2006 and the only thing I regret are the pictures! ;-)
- Tech Hats (dirty) – If you’re really particular, but don’t mind a pre-dirtied hat there are two well broken in Montrail hats and a slightly dirty, but very lightly used white HAT Run hat. Please let us know if you’re willing to give a home to these well-loved hats. Otherwise, it’s off to Goodwill with them!
- Nathan hydration pack (used) – A classic Nathan hydration pack in good, but used condition. It’s 100% functional and clean. Not sure of the model name, but it should hold up to a 3 liter bladder (you supply the bladder). It also has small pockets on both top and rear as well as a large mesh stuff pocket.
- Osprey Hydraulics Nalgene – A standard Nalgene bottle featuring the Osprey Hydraulics logo.
- Drymax Trail Running sock (women’s 10-12; men’s 8.5-10.5) – One pair of Drymax Trail Running socks. See what all the hubbub is about.
- SofSole Anti-Friction socks (men’s 7-10.5) – A set of 2 pairs of these anti-friction socks.
- Swiftwick Seven Midcalf (women 10.5-14; men 10-13) – Merino socks.
- Swiftwick Four Crew (women 10.5-14; men 10-13) – Merino socks.
- Brooks Drawstring Pack – A step up from your basic drawstring gym/shoe bag.
- HAT Run Shoulder Bag – A small over-the-shoulder bag with water bottle slot.
- Basic Drawstring Bags (1 of 4) – Simple drawstring bags from Ragged Mountain Running Shop, Polar, Adidas, and the Leadville Trail 10k. Enter for a specific bag or increase your odds by asking for “a drawstring bag.”
- Nathan Shoe Pocket+ – A small shoe pocket sized for the Nike + iPod sensor. It’ll also hold a key and a few bucks.
- Branded USB Flashdrives – 512MB – 1 GB (a couple) – Are you a trail running junkie in need of a USB drive? We’re your one stop shop for outdoor industry branded flash drives. Be sure to let us know if 512 MB will do or if you’ll only take a 1 GB drive. (Odds of winning are higher for the less picky.)
- 2 GB RAM (2 x 1 GB, DDR3, 1066, CL7) – Get the brains out of the iRunFar laptop. We’ve upgraded to 4 GB and are passing along what we’ve got. Seriously.
We don’t make you “do” anything to enter this giveaway. No need to fill out a form, sign up for this, or subscribe to that. However, if you appreciate iRunFar and what it does, we just ask that you spread the word. You could share news of this giveaway with others (post about it on your blog?) or tell them about the website on your next run.
While you’re at it, consider further embracing the iRunFar community through one of the following options. Not only will they keep you better informed (we share different news on the website, the Facebook fan page, and Twitter), but you’ll help us out, too!
- Subscribe to iRunFar via RSS or via email
- Become a fan of iRunFar on Facebook
- Follow iRunFar on Twitter
Also, anyone looking for a free iRunFar bumper sticker, please use our contact page to request one. We’ll need your full address for that! Folks, we ship these free anywhere in the world. Really!