What Are Your Favorite Energy Gel Flavors?
Yesterday, I was organizing the iRunFar offices while also helping my girlfriend pack for the Marathon des Sables stage race. That combo led to my pondering, “What gels would I take for an unending stage race?” Fortunately, I had all my energy gels laid out on my desk. I’ll let you know what I’d bring, as I think it’s representative of my favorite gels. What are your favorite energy gels when you fit the trails?
My Fin du Monde Stage Race Gels
- Clif Shot: Double Espresso – A great, earthy taste and 100 mg of caffeine (about as much as a cup of coffee) make this my wake up gel whether it’s breakfast time or late at night.
- Gu Energy Gel: Jet Blackberry – I received some sample Mountain Berry Gus. They’ve disappeared quickly. I’ll be sure to throw at least one in the pack for every long adventure until they run out!
- Chocolate Agave #9 – This low glycemic index (46) gel gel has fewer calories (70) than most gels. An enjoyable, complex chocolate taste from just two ingredients – organic agave and breakfast cocoa. Note the lack of added salt. Unlike other gels, this is not a significant source of electrolytes. Adjust accordingly.
- Gu Energy Gel: Vanilla Gingerbread – I’m pretty sure Gu originally named this flavor “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Gingerbread”… or at least they should have! The best thing about this gingerbread is that it’s not going to go stale in a week. Just thinking about this gel makes me want to eat on. I just may. They’re that good.
- Gu Energy Gel: Just Plain – Plain. Good and simple. Plain Gu is the gel I eat when I don’t feel like eating a gel or, often enough, when I want a Plain Gu.
Of course, this being the selection for an unending stage race, I’d include primarily “energy dense” gels. Good thing I created an energy gel comparison chart last year that looked at energy density. (iRunFar Energy Gel Comparison article)
That’s it from me. Let us know what your favorite energy gels are and why!