Yeah, I was on the course and could report on what I saw at this year’s Western States 100. Not gonna do that as such coverage would be incomplete due to my switch from reporter to Andy Jones-Wilkins’s pacer at Bath Road. I’ll leave the reporting to those who had a consistent role (be it as a competitor, a photographer, or a videographer) from the start to the finish… or at least the finish of their attempt. We’ll be adding some additional sources as we see fit. Congratulations to all the runners, volunteers, crew, board members, and pacers who made the 2009 Western States Endurance Run a race to remember!
Race Reports and the Like
Here are post-Western States dispatches from the some of our favorite bloggers:
- Andy Jones-Wilkins lets us know what it’s like to really race for a top 10 men’s spot at States. He gave that extra 2%!
- Craig Thornley provides ten highlights of this year’s race prior to his full race report.
- Kiwi Paul Charteris writes about his path to a DNF.
- Ultra newbie and mountain running sensation, Caitlin Smith, shares her pacing experience including a list of “the best part[s] of pacing.”
- Scott Dunlap’s extremely thorough race report!
- While he wasn’t there, Ed from TrailrunningSoul.com followed the race and provided this excellent wrap up post. His post includes links to many articles on the race.
- Jasper Halekas (4th, second American) posted a great blow-by-blow on Facebook.
- Ultra-stud Sean Meissner pukes profusely, but shows his strength as he survives a suffer-fest.
- Donald provides the best report from a middle of the pack runner that I’ve read so far.
- Jean Pommier gets tougher during this year’s race.
- Why you won’t see Brian Morrison toeing the line in Squaw Valley next year.
- Krissy Moehl clearly gave it her all en route to a second place women’s finish.
Matt Hart’s Videos
While we here at iRunFar would prefer to see Matt Hart running in this year’s WSER, boy are we glad he showed up to be the race’s unofficial videographer. Below are links to Matt’s great interviews and shots from the race.
- Hal Koerner (men’s winner) finish and finish line interview
- Anita Ortiz (women’s winner) finish and finish line interview
- Bev Anderson-Abbs pre-race interview
- Jasper Halekas pre-race interview
- Michael Wardian pre-race interview
- Flyin’ Brian Robinson pre-race interview
- Gary Robbins on-course footage
- Start of the 2009 WS100
- Bryon Powell’s race predictions
Hart also took a bunch of photos over the WS weekend.
If you want photos of a West Coast ultra, the first person to whom you should look is Glenn Tachiyama. WSER ’09 was no exception. Here ya go!
Of course, some folks other than Hart and Glenn Tachiyama took some great shots of this year’s race.
- A small set (13 photos) by Akim Aginsky that are well worth the look. I love shot 12 of AJW!
Please feel free to leave a comment if you know of a good 2009 WS100 race report, photo set, video, article, or other resource.