Tentative 2008 Running Schedule
April 7, 2008 by Bryon Powell · 15 Comments
Thanks to everyone who suggested races for me to run in the remainder of 2008. While a great deal of uncertainty remains in my schedule for the latter half of the year, I’ve decided on two focus races – the Iroquois Trails 100 and the JFK 50 miler. The rest of my schedule will fill in around these races. Read the rest of my schedule after the break.
In the near term I don’t plan to race much. In fact, other than a 3k next weekend, I don’t have any intention of racing until July. That doesn’t mean I won’t be running long before then, just not pinning on any numbers with the intention of going all out. Fortunately, I have the chance to help two friends out when I pace at the Massanutten and Western States 100s.
Hanging Around, Running for Fun
- 4/20 – Joe Schwartz 3k – Haverford, PA
- 5/17 – Pace Mike Mason at MMT 100 – Massanutten Mts, VA
- 6/6-8 – Trail Running Vacation #1 – Wasatch & Uinta Mts, UT
- 6/14-15 – something to commemorate my 30th B-day
- 6/28 – Pace Andy Jones-Wilson at WS 100 – Bath Rd., CA
Milage in the Middle
My summer running is up for grabs… or perhaps up in the air is a better way to put it. There’s got to be at least four different scenarios just for the end of August and start of September. In no particular order, here are my options for that time period.
- 8/22 – Cheat Mountain Moonshine Madness 50 – Beverly, WV
- 8/25-30 – TransRockies Run – CO
- 8/26-31 – Trail Running Vacation #2.1 – Chamonix, FR
- 8/30-9/7 – Trail Running Vacation #2.2 – Teton & Wasatch Mts
Whatever I settle on for the end of August/beginning of September, I’ll be logging some big mileage. That’s perfect, as I’ll be heading into the heart of my racing year from the end of September through the end of November. Iroquois Trails and JFK will be my focus races.
- 9/20 – Iroquois Trails 100 – Ithaca, NY
- 10/3 – pace at Grindstone 100 if recovered – Swoope, VA
- 10/11 – New River Trail 50k (if feeling peppy) – Fries, VA
- 11/22 – JFK 50 – Boonsboro, MD
Life… and Ultrarunning
At this point in my life, I realize that my life has a great deal of uncertainty… mostly related to work. While I will not easily give up focus race (like Iroquois Trails or JFK), individual projects or an overwhelming workload sometimes means I have to miss races. With that in mind, I’ll be flexible with many of my non-focus races. For sure, the most popular races fill up far ahead of time, but there are plenty of high-quality races that I can sign up for in the weeks, day, or even minutes before the gun goes off. It’s likely that I’ll jump into two or three such events in June, July, and August, but it would be silly for me to put them on the calendar now.