Tagged (Seven Things About Me)
I admit, I’ve been a bad, bad blogger, baby. Both my personal and work life’s been crazy for a few weeks now. (For instance, from Monday and Thursday last week, I averaged leaving the office at 11 p.m. and I worked from home from 12:30 a.m. until 3. Ugh!) Below the fold you can learn seven things about me in my response to Tony Portera’s tag.
1. If my sister weren’t my sister, our paths never would have crossed. Thanks goodness they did, because she’s my best friend!
2. I’ve had two major transformational periods in my life. The first was at the start of high school when I joined the cross country team out of fear of being cut from the freshman soccer team. Although I was the slowest guy on the team (and slower than most of the girls), my teammates were very supportive. Running as part of the team brought me out of my shell, gave me a lot more confidence, and infused me with my love for running. The second was going to law school while working full-time. I have never nor will I even work harder than I did during those four years, particularly the first two. During that time, I realized that I can work much harder than I thought and learned what my hard work could achieve. The rigors of this time taught me much about discipline. When I need to, I can now cut out all superfluous activity. The equally important corresponding lesson is that I learned what I need (and it’s not much) to be happy.
3. I’ve been running more than half my life. I was fortunate enough to grow up with a large state park as my backyard, so I’ve been trail running almost as long as I’ve been running.
4. I’ve gone years without plugging in a TV. In part that’s because when one’s around I’m an addict. I can get sucked into hours upon hours of watching shows like Law and Order or CSI.
5. Rumor has it that I can dance. This remains unconfirmed. In a related but more concrete note, as a child I took ballet and tap lessons.
6. I love the desert. Some folks hate the bleakness of dry landscapes, but even as an Easterner I love western landscapes. If I catch the scent of sagebrush, I’m almost sure to smile. Elko or bust!
7. I don’t tag. ;-)